Topic: ToDo Lists Version 2 Beta Feedback
I've been using Version 1 of ToDo Lists for many, many, years. I use it daily. When the beta for Ver. 2 became available I started using it immediately alongside ToDo Lists Ver. 1. because it brought the one feature I really wanted, sub-tasks. I have a multiple To-Do lists open at all times and I not only use it as a checklist of things I need to do but also as a running list of completed tasks that I need to keep track of. I have a three monitor setup and each monitor has multiple desktops. To-Do lists tend to be spread out on different desktops. For example, right now I have 23 desktops, and have to-do lists on on three of them. One desktop is nothing but different To-Do Lists (8 of them), one is split with BusyCal and has 7 To-Do lists. Another To-List is on another desktop, on a different monitor alongside Highdesign Pro (a 2d CAD application) as running checklist of tasks I need to do on the current drawing, I will have separate To-Do list for each drawing and if I have more than one drawing open, the will me on different desktops, potentially different monitors and will have a To-List with it. To-Do Lists are invaluable with my workflow and my daily life. To-Do Lists is fast, simple and clean GUI, and I can have many open at once on different desktops. This is some feedback on my experiences with Ver. 2.
1) Still in beta.... ;-) [and about to expire again]
2) The expiration warning, will always bring the last edited To-Do list to the window the expiration notice popped up on. This annoying because then I have to move to the desktop the To-Do list had been on and move it back.
3) The right click menu options "Urgent" and "Completed" don't work. I have to go into "Options" and check them there and "Apply". The "Urgent" not working is annoying since I use that often. I just check the box when I complete a task so having a menu option for that is redundant to me. Once I set them in Option then a check will show up in the right-click menu for it but I can't click a checked urgent to remove the urgency. I have to go back into "Options" to do that. Too many clicks to do something so simple.
4) There is a problem with "Repeating" Tasks. Actually multiple. I have tried to create many repeating tasks and most of the time it does not work. It seems that perhaps I am only allowed one repeating task in a To-Do list. There is no visual indication that a task has repeating assigned to it and if I go back into "Options" for a task that actually is working as a repeating task there is no indication there that it is repeating, no choice to make it no longer repeating either.
5) Sometimes something goes wrong and while the app seems to be working fine, the database at <user>/Library/Containers/com.Antlogic.TodoLists2/Data/Documents/TodoListsDatabase.tdl is not updated. This has happened five or six times in this year and do know there is a problem until I restart the computer and my last tasks and task updates are all missing. This has resulted in a huge amount of data loss. Going into TimeMachine shows me the last updated list and date which also the one that gets loaded on restart so there to recover. The data simply is not being written to the database even though the To-Do list behaves normally. I don't know why this happens and can't make it happen so I have not reported do date. I know have a tab in Forklift (a Finder replacement app) that is a Favorite that points to the database directory and I keep an eye on it when I am doing a lot of To-Do List edits or making new ones. If it doesn't update, I will restart the computer.
6) Restarting the computer (or if Finder crashes and restarts) my To-Do lists will all end up on the same desktop. They won't remember the desktop they were on. This is really, really, annoying since I then have to relocate all of them to the correct desktops.
7) Margin Lines. If I use the options in the vertical ellipses in the title bar of a To-Do list to change the background color to my preferred color ColorWell reports it as "Dark Grey" #323333, I will loose the margin lines for that To-Do List. There is no way I have found to get then back again without changing the background color. I use the dark them and really like this color, it coordinates really well with how BusyCal has implement Dark Theme. So, I would like to have margins work with this color too.
1) Repeating Task. I would like to see an option in the right click menu that says "Repeating" and will have a check if the task is repeating, and if unchecked it will bring up a dialog, "Do you wish to pause or clear the repeating task?" with buttons "Pause" and "Clear" that do exactly that. If paused, the setting for the repeating task remain and checking the "Repeating" again in the right click menu reenables the repeating behavior. Where clear, removes the repeating behavior and the "Repeating" from the right click menu for that task. Clicking "Options" for a repeating task should show the settings that were selected for that repeating task when it was created so that it can be edited. It should also be allowed to pause or clear from the "Options" menu as well. There should be no limit on the number of repeating tasks allowed in a To-Do List. Each time a repeating task is repeated a new task shows up for it in the To-Do list instead of just reenabling the last completed iteration of that task. If the task was not completed last time then another copy of the same task appears. A missed task is still just one missed task, i.e. "buy coffee". If I miss this task then I have two tasks to "buy coffee" but in reality it makes no sense to buy coffee twice just because I missed doing it when task came up. Maybe I was away from town and since I can't pause tasks I might end up with a lot of duplicated tasks. Another example, "buy wife anniversary gift", if I miss this task I will have a lot of problems that completing the same task more than once isn't going to fix. Maybe if I missed that task it should have become an "Urgent" task, highlighted red, and move to the top of my To-Do List. Perhaps some options in Preferences to define Behavior for Repeating Tasks would be good so each person can set them to fit their needs best.
2) Behavior. Should be assignable to each To-Do list individually. It is great and necessary to have defaults set in the Preferences as we can now but for some lists I need to keep track of completed tasks and others I do not. Currently the work-around is to periodically remove the completed tasks but it would be nice if this were automatic on a list by list basis. Sorting behavior is also something that I think would be nice to be able to assign individually to each To-Do List. Right now, if I click "Sort" on a list then it sorts it in a programmed way I have no control over or choice in making it only marginally useful.
3) Date Due. The font is super tiny. I would like to be able to make that larger so my aging eyes can read it.
4) Subtasks. I use ALL THE TIME now. I don't usually nest more than three though but this feature is the one thing that that I needed from To-Do Lists ver1. I would like the option to NOT mark a task completed if all the subtasks are completed. Why? Because it would save space. Right now I always have to make one more subtask than I need to prevent a task from being marked completed as soon as I finish a subtask for it. For example, I have make a task "Draw plan view" and that has a subtask (as well as others), "Draw floor framing", and that has a one subtask "Get joist engineering". I need the engineering before I can do the drawing but getting the engineering isn't completing the drawing. So, I have to have a second subtask, "Draw floor framing" under the "Draw floor framing" task. Totally redundant. Maybe an option to define this behavior in Preferences since maybe other people will maybe prefer the way it works now?
5) Appearance. I would like to be able to set the background colors myself. I use the Dark Colors and then often change it. Custom color is fine but only allows one user selectable color. Why not allow me to define my own Dark Colors or at Custom Color Palette of multiple colors I want to use?
6) Margin Lines. An option to control margin lines on/off and color for each To-Do List. From the same vertical ellipsis menu that I can control background and text color would be great.
7) Drag and drop of tasks and subtasks. It is really easy, too easy, to drag a task into the subtask of another task. It is not so easy to drag an item out of being a subtask, especially back to the most top level. I don't really know what to suggest here but something must be doable to make reorganizing tasks easier with drag and drop.
Thank you again for making this app. I do hope you are able to find the time to keep working on it and get it out of beta. I use app so much that I really worry that you might have abandoned it and I will be hard pressed to find a replacement.