Topic: To-Do lists lost when updating

When the app store updated my version of To-Do Lists to 1.6.2 all of my lists were lost.  I read the post on migrating to the new version, but when I tried to go to the  ~/Library/ToDoLists folder it didn't exist.

Re: To-Do lists lost when updating

Hi. Did you use Dropbox syncing or moved your To-do Lists database in any other way? ~/Library/ToDoLists is a default folder for todo database, but you had possibility to move it.
Also, you should seen the real path of previous database in message box after the first 1.6.2 run.

No, I never used syncing or moved my database in the old version. 

I also never saw any kind of message box when I first opened the 1.6.2 version of the software.  In the open recent file menu I see the file Todolists_backup_2014_01_06.tdl, but when I try to open it I get the message Cannot load tasks data from designated file. Please choose another one.

Yeah, it cannot be opened since record was created before sandboxed application was downloaded. In such case please search for the file with this name (Todolists_backup_2014_01_06) via the Spotlight, and if it is found - remember where it was (or copy to desktop) and use File->Open backup.. in the To-do Lists application.

When I search for that file it doesn't exist

Please also try to search for ToDoListsDatabase.tdl

I can't find any file containing ToDoLists

That's strange. For how much time did you use To-do Lists, and did you really use it under the same username/account as now?
At least it creates backups daily, and update do not delete any of these files, so you should have at least some .tdl files.

I have been using it on my current computer for about 4 months now, and I only have a single user account on my computer.  It was working perfectly fine until it automatically updated

Btw, did you search via Finder (and over the whole Mac) or via Spotlight?
The only guess I have is to check your backups (if you backup your Mac).
And, did you use any Mac cleaning utilities or other software which may delete unneeded files?

This is what worked for me in Mavericks 10.9.1. I had just migrated to a new Mac.

With a Finder window open, go to View > Show View Options and make sure "Show Library Folder" is checked on.

Now open User > Library and you should see the folder ToDoLists (don't do anything with it). If you don't see it then something has gone wrong.

Launch the To-do-Lists app and from the menu go to  File > Open Backup and browse to User > Library > ToDoLIsts > ToDoListsDatabase.tdl

That should load all your to lists back in.

I have same issue. Had no prompt upon opening new version.  And searching through Mac for the Library to-do list files, as noted in this support string, turned up nothing. I use TimeMachine, but don't see the to do list  backup file there. Any help on finding in TimeMachine.

Sorry for a bit stupid question, but just in case to check it - are you sure that you navigate to ~/Library/ToDoLists/ (with tilde as first symbol), not to the root Library folder?

We are trying to understand what's gone wrong or not in the way we expected, however we were not able to reproduce the problem on our side yet.

Nickolay wrote:

Sorry for a bit stupid question, but just in case to check it - are you sure that you navigate to ~/Library/ToDoLists/ (with tilde as first symbol), not to the root Library folder?

We are trying to understand what's gone wrong or not in the way we expected, however we were not able to reproduce the problem on our side yet.

My apologies. When I did use the tilde, I was able to get to the backup from Jan. 3, which had my original content. Thanks for the tip. Assume I'm good to go w/ 1.6.2 now, or do I need to do something else?

Glad that it worked. If all your data in your lists, sure everything will go fine. In later updates this operation will not be needed, it's just one time to migrate to sandbox.